Friday, February 26, 2010

Artist

Along with other stereotypes Artist share the one that they are all nuts and emotional recks and have messy lives.

Its true that Jack Kerouac had a messy life and while he wrote well his home life left much to be desired. Jazz musician Chet Baker struggled with drug issues and in the last movie made about him, his children begged him to spend more time with them and send money. He died before the movie was released.

Does that mean that as an artist you are doomed to have an unhappy messed up life? Sometimes it does feel like that. In seems that being sensitive to the world around you can feel overwhelming, and your heart goes out to everyone all at once.

It takes time to direct your energy to one thing at a time. I have found if I take on too much I am left not only with out energy but with out a sense of accomplishment. While some can multitask, others of us need to work on one project at a time and just get it done. Then we can think about other things, issues and so on.

As for being a mess, in some ways I am and in others not. I know I have very strong views about family. In fact in my dreams lately I have been working them out. Sure it would be nice if I had a loving and supportive family but I do not. When I am about to try something new, like I am now, I watch movies that make me feel good. I get inspired by dance and art, then I have the courage to try something new.

That is what works for me. Getting up and dancing is great for my soul. For others it is just a walk with the dogs or reading. No, as an artist I do not have to be a mess, I just have to do one thing at a time.

No comments: