Friday, September 26, 2008

Conference

That’s right I have been working on editing my book project and I was able to finished yesterday afternoon, before I had lunch! As a reward I went out and met some friends in the evening.

To further the celebration and make some new contacts I will be attending a Writers Conference this weekend in Irvine. I didn’t know if I would be able to do this and at the last minute it worked out. Isn’t that just the way though?

I have been working on this project for years. Sometimes I feel like I should just give up and start something else. I have started a screenplay and I have started writing another book. Things I will continue to work on when I submit my first chapter to a literary agent.

The first time I went to one of these conferences my project was really a first draft. Of course I didn’t think it was. Since then I have revised and edited. The first time attened I also went with a fellow writer friend. She has since stopped being my friend and I miss her a lot. She just dropped off the face of the earth one day and never returned my calls or letters or emails. I really loved her and enjoyed talking to her about writing. I know she had a lot of problems and I don’t know if I offended her or it was just that I got an editor.

Whatever the reasons I still credit her with getting me to finish my book and get out there to pitch it in the first place. Since then I have attended a few of these, I always learn something and it is great to be with fellow writers. Of course now I have the IWOSC group that I know and met with when I can and I have been attending Media Bistro events. All of which helps since writing is such a solitary life.

This weekend I will enjoy the company of others who share a passion for the written word. It’s true we writers are a strange lot. Most of the time we feel out of place. That’s because most of the time we are Zebra’s in a room full of horses. Once you get all the Zebra’s together then we blend in. Time to go check in with the rest of the heard!

No comments: