Thursday, October 2, 2008

Baggage Check

In the travels we take in life there are things we need. Money, tickets, passport and of course our luggage. In our personal growth the challenge seems to be how to get rid of the baggage. If it is from the last boyfriend, or family business or a divorce, whatever the case the baggage is there.

I have had my divorced girl friend go on and on about her EX, she was going on a first date with someone new. She called me before the date and was going on about her Ex and the new guy and his EX and what should she ask him. She had turned this invite in to such a panic and I told her not to bring up any of that and just relax and be glad you don’t have to eat alone that night. Much to the distress of her date she didn’t listen, and of course he left and there was no second date. I have heard the same kinds of things from my male friends and it is a turn off no matter what your sex. Funny thing about that, I am talking about the two that went on this date.

Clearly she was bringing her baggage with her to drinks and dinner. I guess we can’t really get rid of it, but maybe we could change out the big suitcase with the wheels for a coin- purse?

In working on my book I have been trying to do just that. In the last week after going to the conference I feel I have made a breakthrough. It came to me in a dream and after thinking about it and talking about it, it makes so much sense. It’s true I do tend to go off about some of this stuff, and my friends are so great for listening to me.

If it weren’t for my good friends I would not make it, none of us would. We need to share with someone else. There is a great befit to asking the, “I know this sounds crazy but just
Hear me out for a minute” questions. We can convince ourselves of anything and make it sound fine in our heads. Out loud can be something else entirely.

Once I have a chance to make heads or tails out of what is going on, I feel so much better. Today I have the strength to do things for others and I have been smiling and singing in the car. It is like taking off a heavy shoulder bag or backpack. I don’t think that I have reduced it to a coin-purse just yet. It does seem to be getting a bit lighter these days.

No comments: