Thursday, September 18, 2008

Wardrobe Malfunction

In the last few years we have heard this term and applied to Janet Jackson’s Super bowl performance. I can say that I have thought the term was utter rubbish. Plus her costume had been designed to be revealing.

That all changed this last weekend when I had my own wardrobe malfunction at my dance recital. It was a small venue filled with friends and family. The group looked a little bored so I thought I would step it up a notch. The thing is at home I had not danced full-out, I had no idea that my top was not up to the challenge.

The back clasp broke and I had to hold on to my very heavily beaded bra top and walk off the stage area. My teacher/friend tried to pin me up and I tried to finish the dance, but nothing doing. I had to walk off again and go back to the dressing room. I didn’t cry which some of the women half expected me to. At my age I can gracefully leave and not show anything to the crowd and not cry. Thank you very much!

In the kitchen/dressing room I changed into a tank top and the girls pinned my vale around me like a Sari and I was able to dance again with the others in the finale. It was not a total loss. All the girls were very supportive and encouraging. That was so great of them and what I needed at the time. My friends in the audience told me how smooth my skin is, later in the night when we were having drinks. I didn’t think I was even out there dancing long enough for them to notice.

Lessons learned: I will get my bra top fixed by a seamstress and have it re-enforced. The worst happened and I didn’t die, cry or fall apart. I might think about wearing pasties for other performances. Once you have had your top fail you… nothing is going to get you down. I have been working on my book, and what could go wrong? There is nothing in my project that can’t be fixed or changed and it’s not like the end of the world. It’s not like my top is coming off or anything. Ha Ha. Take that Janet!

1 comment:

JenniiDD said...

Wish I had been there! Great blog though. Gave me something to smile about here at work.