Thursday, September 11, 2008

Next Phase

I have been working on my dancing and I have been re-editing my novel. The next phase is to get the editing done and send out my first chapter to agents. For my dancing it will this weekend’s performance and starting a dance troupe with my teacher.


I have taken time away from my book to get some distance and some fresh eyes to look at it again. The last rejection letter I got gave me some clues as to where to go with this manuscript. I can see what they meant and I have been going through and re-reading the book from begging to end to see what can be cut.

Not that I have to tell everything in one go, I still need to leave something for the next book and the next project. In the mean time I have been working on this blog and other writing projects. This has all been good for me, in the last few years I have really grown as a writer. It still is life or death to me, in that I want it so badly.

Having other articles appearing in Scoot! Magazine has helped, so I don’t feel like a no one will ever want to hear what I have to say. For a while I was waiting positive encouragement that never came. To get here I just had to keep working and reading about other writers and reading books about becoming a writer.

The first time I went to a writer’s conference I was over confident and I still had a lot of work to do. After reading about working writers and how long it takes them to finish a book and how many times they edit their work and I got the idea in my head that it was going to take longer than I thought. The last few years have not been easy, by any means.

This time I am working on my book it is not at all emotional, as it was before. I can look at it as any other project. What will make it better and keep the pace up? If it is getting boring, cut it.

In my dancing I have to be bolder and not worry about what I look like so much and enjoy myself. If I don’t keep up the passion for my writing or my dancing both will suffer and end up half-baked. That won’t do, at all. On to the next phase, success.

No comments: