Thursday, August 28, 2008

More dancing

I had it in my mind that there was a dance event coming up. I know the girls in my class have been talking about September 13th. I didn’t want to be caught off guard without a proper routine, so I have been working on some moves.

Unbeknownst to me that is the date of our dance recital. Now I am in a panic to get a new outfit. Just my normal hip scarf will not do for performance. Plus I know what I want. I did find it one-line. Buy it was not in stock. Then I had to start from scratch. Goodness, all this for one evening.

I have been looking at pages of websites with spangles and beaded bra tops. It makes the mind reel. There are so many choices, and styles. I know what I want and later it will look good.

After two days of searching I found what I wanted in my size at the Velvet Gypsy, in Venice Ca. I am rarely in Venice, and I had to jam down there before they closed at 6pm. I am now the proud owner of a blue and gold beaded bra and belt with a gold skirt. It will go nicely with my gold and blue vale.

Yes, the question begs to be asked, am I crazy? I just turned 39 a few weeks ago and I am not skinny. Am I really going to get up in public and belly dance? If I asked my mother and sister, they would tell me not to do it. My sister would tell me I am too fat to get up and dance. My mother would agree. Which is why don’t talk to them and haven’t in years. The belly dance community is so much more accepting. They just tell you, that you’re a goddess and get out there and shake you thing! Not to worry about your shape and just have fun. This is why I even think I can do this. I have always been a dancer and I love it. On the plus side of this, all this dancing will help my waistline!

This chapter in my life will go down as, “how I dealt with getting older”. In the last few years I have been going to Pilates, surfing and now belly dancing. This is all in an effort to lose some weight before I turn 40, when it’s just a downhill ride to menopause. I know heavy women have a hard time with it, so I just want to be fitter as I get older. It also helps to keep bone mass.

As it is things are going well and will all this dancing it should get better. I have a goal with the upcoming performance to keep me on track as well. Here goes nothing! Or everything, just more dancing.

No comments: