Thursday, August 14, 2008

Next Year

We all make plans at the beginning of the year for things that we want to accomplish during the next year. The New Year’s resolution; I never do that in January, but rather, in September. I always think of September as the New Year. Maybe because my birthday is in August and September was always the beginning of school year.

For some reason the calendars for the next year are already out at the bookstores. I have to stop myself. I used to get a day calendar, a desk calendar, a wall calendar, and the free one at Hallmark stores and I would write in all of them. Yes, I had some obsessive need to write down my days’ activities in three different places, and I did too……scary.

It hasn’t been a complete waste of time, thankfully. I have used these notes to write my first book. I had tons of material to draw on. These days, I keep up a journal in my laptop and I still have my daily planner, which I sometimes write in. I keep some of my emails to friend....good stuff in there, and I know I will use it in another story sometime.


How are we doing with the plans we made in January? Have we been keeping up at the gym? Have we lost the weight we wanted or stopped smoking? I don’t say this to throw out a guilt trip. Every day on this earth is a day to try to do better. Do we only have to try in January? Or can we get back on the treadmill today?

What about me? I have been going to my exercise classes and have even added a belly dance class that I didn’t plan on. I haven’t dropped all the weight I wanted to by now, but am getting there. Still, things are better this year than last. My butt is smaller and I can be happy about that. I really look forward to Monday nights when I do two classes back to back. My friends are all happy and healthy and I get to see them on a regular basis. I get to go to work with people I really care about. I get to write and God blessed me with the ability to be witty, and it comes in handy sometimes. :-)

As for my goals, some are the same and some are different, like keeping up with surfing. I am still working on all of them. I still have lots of things I want to do with my life and yes tons more travel. I may never have kids, but one day you’ll see a photo of me at the top of Machu Pichu or in a Sari in India. Who knows? There is always next year.

No comments: