Thursday, August 21, 2008

Can’t wait

Some things we need to wait for: food to be cooked, events to come around, friends to show up for dinner. Of course some are more difficult to wait for than others.

I have been waiting for some friends to come my house for dinner. I have asked them several times, and they flaked out. It was sad because I really enjoy their company, so I was very disappointed. This last weekend they finally made it and it was great! I always have a good time when I see them and they make me laugh till I cry. That’s why when they didn’t show I was so bummed. This last time made up for it all.

I have other friends from Europe I am waiting for them to visit the states and stay at my home. One is from Switzerland and the other family is from Scotland and I can’t wait to see them again. But I will have to. I know we will have a great time when they do get here, so it is well worth the wait.

I have been waiting for my book to get published and I have to wait longer. That part is up to me and to get this manuscript up to par. The waiting part comes when I send the first chapter out and see what will happen next. In the mean time I have this blog and my work to keep me busy.

Something’s I will not wait for. If something bothers me, like a problem with a friend I have to get that out and over with as soon as possible. I have called them at work or school. Once I get it off my chest and we resolve it, once I do it’s all good and I can go about my day. I don’t bring it up again and we move on. It’s not that I lose sleep over it, but if it still bothers me in the morning, I know I have to make a call or text or email. As long as I can air things out, I am fine.

When there is a block to airing things out, or someone tells me they can’t or won’t talk about it right then. I can’t stand it. That’s when things get bad and they get bigger than they would have been if I could have spoken to them right away. Or if they just get so defensive I can’t tell them how I feel, then the whole point of talking about what is bothering me is totally lost.

If I have to wait and wait to get things out than I feel as if they don’t care and I shouldn’t even bother trying to resolve things. I get so discouraged it seems pointless to try again. That doesn’t happen with most of my friends, they are always willing to hear me out and we make up quickly. Travel can wait, food can wait, talking to someone you care about like a friend, and I can’t wait.

No comments: