Thursday, March 25, 2010

Why

Years ago while listening to KPRW, I learned that the local new channels are owned by people that want to hear celebrity news. They are the ones that pressure the news channels to cover it. It has nothing to do with public taste or that fact that we live in SoCal., its not the public, its them.

I suppose that is why on the morning news I have to hear about "Dancing with the Stars" and "American Idol". I never have watched either one of these shows, nor will I ever. If I wanted to know what happened on these shows, wouldn't I have watched them in the first place or turned on the Tivo?

Since I couldn't care less, why should I be bothered in the AM when I have my morning coffee and just want to know about the weather or world affairs. I really shouldn't and I don't feel its even worthy entertainment news. That should be about films that are out, or new books coming to stores near you. While I feel bad for Sandra, I'm sure she is going through enough and we don't need to hear every detail of her private life. That used to be called, "family business". In other words, none of yours.

I have to go back to the first statement. Its not us, not the public that want this, its the owners of the stations. They also seem to only want local news, we only get a few drops of what is going on in the world. For that we have to turn to BBC America to find out what goes on in the US with better coverage than CNN.

It seems to make people more selfish, if they only learn about things close to them. People who want to know about the world around them have a different out look, more empathic if you will. If it all possible, try to look at other news sources than just local. It is out there for you. Why just listen to news of a show you could have watched the night before? Why just learn about local news? Why not the world?

No comments: