Thursday, October 23, 2008

Procrastination

It is always easier to get ourselves distracted by other things and do the hard work we really need to. If we have lots of friends on line than we might feel the need to email them and keep talking to them instead of doing other things.

When I was in school I used to do the easy homework before the more difficult. I rationalized that I was still working and getting things done. It wasn’t totally untrue but I would get too tired to do the other homework. Then being tired I would put off doing the other projects I need to do.

I know we have all been there. In the last few weeks I have again been working on my manuscript. Sometimes getting to it is the most difficult. I don’t really know why. Once I get started it goes along pretty smoothly and it doesn’t take me long to make the needed corrections. So what is stopping me from digging right in?

Rejections really. Having sent in my first chapter out I have received rejection letters and it stinks. No matter how much you have to deal with that in publishing. It still hurts and it doesn’t get easier. The fact of the matter is that you have to go through this in order to get to a place where you are an author. Yes, it’s called ‘paying your dues’. In the past I had only thought of actors and singers having to do this. Now I know better.

The only thing that keeps me going is my goal of getting my book published. I would have stopped a long time ago if I had wanted to make a lot of money and right away. I have wanted to be a writer since I was about 11 years old. It took me a while to even get this far.

I have to keep telling myself it will happen, has to happen. This is my life’s work the big dream of a life time and not a passing fancy. Sure there have been bumps along the road and there will be more. It’s worth it to have something you have spent so much time on come to life as it were. No more procrastination for me.

No comments: