Sunday, June 19, 2011

Dad's

While I am not close to my family and not a slave to made-up holidays, I do think of them from time to time.

Recently I was able to get my scooter up and running again. It makes me so happy and I can't wait to start taking her 'Sam' to work. Not only is it better for my pocket book, its fun.

There is a Scooter Exhibit I will go to see soon. The other thing I want to do it take my board out and go surfing. These are thought of as 'guy' things. That being said I have many girlfriends that share these interests.

My sister and I wanted our father's approval. Being children of divorce it was important that he showed interest in our hobbies. Yes it is important for all children, we just became more needy since he had already left. Which made us feel that he didn't love us.

My sister was always trying to gain his approval by doing well in sports. She did take to sports like a fish to water. For myself it was much more difficult. In my adult years I have pursued interest that would please him, scooters, motorcycle's, surfing. The thing is he doesn't know since we don't talk. In a strange way I have become the kind of son he always wanted.

The things I learned from my dad were not positive, the thing I inherited for him was my sense of humor and direction. For that I am grateful.

No comments: