Thursday, August 20, 2009

Speak Easy

One of the great things about living in Fullerton is finding new things in the city to enjoy.

In this last year we have all had to find inexpensive ways to entertain ourselves. One thing we have been doing is taking out bikes out on a week night and going to the local gelato place and getting a small bowl and eating it in the cool of the evening.

Last weekend we went to The Cellar to have a few drinks. I had never been there, and had wanted to go for a long time. Its' a bit more dressy than other places, which is a nice treat and the service is great. With all that, I also found out that on Friday nights form 10 pm to 2 am is their 'Green Hour', for those that don't know it refers to the color of a drink. That drink being Absinthe.

I had not idea they had an Absinthe hour in town. It has become trendy in the past few years. That is not why I find this fascinating. When I was in college I read about famous artist that enjoyed this drink and it has such a rich history.

It feels as if I found my very own 'Speak-easy' here and town and I need to go back and check it out. Forget the folk lore that it makes people go crazy. That was said because of the cheep intimating drinks that were made in the height of its popularity. They were made with inferior ingredients and people suffered because of that. Just as bathtub Gin didn't help anyone.

With all that why try it? It's there, why not? The Cellar also sets out some nibbles and it will be a way to get out of the house, that's another reason.

It has inspired me to go out and find other little treasures in my town that can be had for a small cost.

During the Great Depression people spent money on liquor and entertainment. There was little else they could spend it on. Talking with a local liquor store merchant, they aren't spending enough on that either. Could it be that we are looking more at entertainment and a way to escape the hard reality we have to live with? It is very possible.

Find out what is going on in your neighborhood that is inexpensive and fun...who knows you might find your own 'Speak-easy', in a manner of speaking.

No comments: