Thursday, February 5, 2009

London Part 2

The next day was a Sunday, and while the museums and shops were mostly closed it was still a chance to look around.

We took the tube and got out around Big Ben. It was so quite around the river for such a big city Sunday was really relaxing. After takings some photos and looking around we walked towards Westminster Abby. The buildings around were all so short. I was shocked, this is one of the world greatest cities and there didn’t seem to be any buildings higher than 5 or 6 stories high. I guessed it was too much work to carry bricks any higher. Along the river I had seen some other high rises, just not that many.

Since it was Sunday and Westminster was holding services so we couldn’t tour. We kept walking towards the mall and Buckingham Palace. I have heard these names before it was funny to see that they are all within walking distance from each other. It was warm and a bit muggy that day. We waited around Buckingham Palace for a while. Not sure if they did the changing of the guard every day. The park around the palace was nice and green with great trees. We did see some guards on horseback by one of the gates and took photos. I wondered if that was any ones goals to be a guard here. I was told later that these jobs go to people in the military but ones from good families.

Next was on to Trafalgar square. I had seen these archways and later the lions in movies of course. There is something about going there yourself. After taking more photos we found a place to eat, we asked for breakfast. It came with beans and tomatoes and eggs and I think we asked for toast. I had seen a similar dish in a movie and I had wanted to try it.

I had wanted to go to Europe since I knew it existed. In my teens I spent a great deal of time watching British comedies and films set in Europe. What had I pick up on was phrases and vocabulary that is not used state side. (such as state side and the loo for the bathroom)

Still tired form jet lag after look around for hours we went back to our hotel to have a nap and then we planned to get supper. Unfortunately we over slept and got dresses and went to a pub, but the kitchen was closed. Across the street was a cornerstone and we got some more wine, bread cheese and salami for dinner. On TV were tons of American western movies. I haven’t seen than many westerns in a long time, funny I had to come to London to see them. On the news was a foot race for beer, it was held in Scandinavia and the men had to carry their wives and the winner won his wife’s weight in beer. One greedy man with a heavy wife was trying to win, but he dropped her. If you drop your wife, the rules are that you are out of the race.

With all the walking and the humidity my feet were starting to swell. It wasn’t fun and I had brought skirts and now needed a pair of linen pants. I found them the next day at H and M.

No comments: