Thursday, February 12, 2009

Cut-backs

In these hard times we all have to make sacrifices in our normal routines and try to economize were ever we can. Here are a few things I have been doing to save.

Pull out the bread maker again. The ingredients are not that much, if you buy in bulk or just small amounts.

Half your portions: when I buy meats for dinner, I make sure to only use half and save the other half for another meal. If I am still hungry I make a salad and or just have a nice glass of wine or something to drink.

Cooking at home: The good old crock-pot. Stews last for a few days and can be cooked up while you are work, so can nice pork roasts. Beans with a good couple of ham hocks can make meals for a while. I have made beans and made them into frozen burritos that can be micro waved at work for lunches. My tip, put in some baking soda, it helps cut down on the gas factor.

My hens don’t lay eggs just yet, but they will help. Also their droppings will make the veggies I planted grow well. It is also great for your compost pile. The best gifts are ones you make yourself. I have been saving my corks and making them into trivets. Just get a large hose clamp at the AutoZone and use that as a belt and you don’t even need a hot glue gun.

Staying in all the time can be a drag; there is only so much on TV. The Getty is always free; you just have to make a reservation for parking. That is both at the Malibu site and the one in Brentwood. Why not absorb some culture for free? Need to get out to the movies, there is nothing like getting in early in the day, you get the discount and avoid the families and teenagers in the evening.

I don’t mind staying in if I have something interesting to eat. Spread your spending wisely and you can afford some shrimp. Make a little shrimp cocktail and have a night in. Much better than spending money on tips and parking, don’t you think? If things get worse, ballet slippers were not on the ration cards last time, they are real leather and comfortable.

No comments: