Thursday, January 22, 2009

Helping

If we see our friends in need, how can we not lend a helping hand? Sure we might not have much but we can always give what we can. Of course we can’t help everyone, but if we don’t help our friend’s what good are we?

The thing about that is, if you are comfortable helping others, how will you react when you are the one that needs help? For myself I find it very difficult to be on the receiving end of all the help. When I have had the opportunity to help others I feel good about myself, when I need help, I don’t know what to do. Sure I say thank you, I just never expect any help from anyone. A lot of that has to do with my family.

My older sister never stood up for me. If anything she would join in when other children were picking on me. She never defended me or gave me support. Once when I was really ill and needed her help and she drew a bath for me. I thanked her and was really surprised at her kindness. As I was thanking her, she burst into laughter and made fun of me for being weak and needing help in the first place. I never told her I loved her again. I have hugged her, but never said those words to her. Why should I, when my heartfelt expression of gratitude was met with mocking laughter?

It’s not that I feel everyone will react that way. It’s more that I have been hurt and have not received that much appreciation for all I do. With the knowledge of what it really means to be undervalued I endeavor never to do that to others. I strive to be generous when I can and to give without thought of receiving anything in return but a thank you. I am proud of the achievements of my friends and brag about them when I can. I am happy to have artists, writers, engineers, bankers and dancers as my friends. Each of which brings something interesting to the table. What I can’t stand people that are unproductive or uninteresting.


I guess I’m surprised when people remember me and help me out. That too must be from my family. They seemed to have amnesia when it came to all the things I did for them. I would have to remind them. My mother, she acted like I never helped. She did that as a way to never have to pay back a kindness and to permanently be the victim. If no one ever helped her, she could continue her “Woe is me,” conversations.

To all my friends that have shown support to me, in my writing and dancing endeavors… Thank You! For the unexpected help, Thank you so very much! If I have helped you in any way… You are very welcome!!! :-)