Thursday, May 29, 2008

Old School

In recent years people have used this term for the 70’s. I have no idea why. Something’s should be left alone by one culture or another.

It used to mean being from old money and being stuffy. To me old school mean the men in the film “ Chariots of Fire”, the scene when Abrams wins the gold medal and the Dean of Oxford and his friend a professor there are at the dinner table. A butler walks up and hands him the newspaper and says, “He did it Sir.” The two older men smile and raise a glass of cherry.

That is what old school meant, the old boys club. Men only in business and only if you had the right pedigree did you get in. Of course as time went on you could, buy your way in if you had enough money to get into the right country club and the right schools. Then these men of power would let you be a captain of industry as well, as long as you knew you would still play ball.

So how in any way does this apply to Fila track suits and Adias sneakers and gold chains around the neck, did I forget a Kanga hat? It doesn’t and it’s an example of one group using terms from another that don’t fit well. I am not saying language doesn’t change or shouldn’t. I suppose I just don’t want younger generations to think that “Old School” always meant hip-hop.

Will they care? Maybe not, but if no one says anything how will they know? Do I kick it old school? You bet I do……thought you knew, aye.

No comments: