Thursday, October 8, 2009

Errands

The middle of the week and she has so many things to do. Her goal is to get everything done before 5 P.M. It’s not that she is older; it is just satisfying to get things done before the rush hour.

The hardware store, as soon as she enters there is a strong smell, bug spray mixed with plastic and popcorn. The small store always makes popcorn, with the other industrial smells the popcorn can’t compete with, and it never seems appetizing to her. This store always has unusual and fun things. She only has a few things to get; still it’s hard not to get distracted by the 8 dollar spatula found in the gourmet food display.

Does she want to drive her usual route or go down another street? It can get boring to always drive down the same streets. Today, it will only take her a few seconds more to go left and down another side street. It’s such a nice proper down town, why not enjoy the scenery?

She lowers the window and lets in some fresh air, the wind blows around her long hair. The cool fall wind feels great; a few trees have started to change color. Unlike back east, the last of these leafs will still be around till late December.

There is a quick trip to the store. She gets into the checkout line, the clerk recognizes her.
“It’s late in the week for you to be here. Didn’t you make all your dinners already?” She asks Devon.

“Yes I did and I just need to pick up some tortillas. I’m making up some burritos for lunches. I made some beans and now I will make them up and freeze them. I usually make about 24 at a time.” Devon answers.

“Wow, you’re more ambitious than I am.” The clerk says with a smile.

“I just like getting it done. I only have to do this like once a month. Then we can just grab them out of the freezer, nuke them at work and I don’t have to scramble every morning wondering what to pack for lunch.” Devon says. She pays for her purchase and drives off. Sure it’s a lot of work, but only for one night.

No comments: